Frequently Asked Questions
While we strive to provide the finest oral health care, tailored to your specific situation, there are several common questions we’re frequently asked.
- Why are dental checkups recommended every six months?
- At Birkitt Dental, we believe in the importance of preventive dental care, and that’s why we (and the American Dental Association) recommend you visit us every six months for a routine cleaning and exam. Patients at increased risk of dental disease—smokers, individuals with diabetes, those already suffering from gum disease, and pregnant women—are advised to visit our Leesburg dental office even more frequently. Why so often? The earlier Dr. Birkitt discovers your oral health issues (gum disease, teeth grinding, cavities, or oral cancer to name a few), the better your chances of recovery. If it’s been a long time since your last trip to the dentist, contact us for an appointment.
- What should I do if I have a toothache?
- Toothaches usually indicate that bacteria have infiltrated the interior of your tooth and infected the nerve and pulp. To put your mind at ease, schedule a visit to our office in Leesburg and we’ll examine your teeth, determine the root of the problem and offer treatment options to make you feel more comfortable.
- How can I prevent cavities?
- Even patients who brush regularly and avoid sugary beverages can still be prone to cavities. We recommend avoiding snacking as much as possible—snacking between meals means that food debris stays on your teeth longer. For best results, be sure to brush after meals and floss regularly, rinsing with a fluoride solution. Most cavities occur between teeth, where only dental floss can reach. For the ultimate cleaning solution, try using a dental water jet, which provides a unique combination of water pressure and pulsation to clean deep between the teeth, while massaging and stimulating the gums.
- What causes tooth sensitivity?
- Tooth sensitivity is extremely common and can be caused by several factors. Your teeth might have tiny fractures or areas of decay. Gum disease or gum recession is another common cause of tooth sensitivity. Are your gums red and swollen? Can you see your tooth roots? When tooth roots are exposed, this can cause severe tooth sensitivity. Bruxism, grinding your teeth at night, might also be a factor. Visit Birkitt Dental for an exam, so we can determine the exact cause of your issues.
- What do you recommend for a healthier, more attractive smile?
- At Birkitt Dental, we’ll renew your smile with sound, aesthetically pleasing restorations. Using composite resin fillings, crowns, inlays, and onlays, we can repair decayed areas and make your smile beautiful at the same time. For stains, cracks, or chips on your front teeth, porcelain veneers cover dental flaws and strengthen your teeth. Call our office and schedule a complimentary consultation to learn how smile-enhancing restorations and cosmetic procedures can revive your oral health without compromising your image.
- Do you refer patients to specialists?
- One of the benefits of receiving your care from Birkitt Dental is that you’ll get virtually all of the dental care you’ll ever need right here in our Leesburg office. While some dentists might refer you to an endodontist if you need a root canal procedure or to an oral surgeon for dental implant placement, Dr. Birkitt is capable of providing both of these dental care services right in our office. We’ll help you get all the care you deserve.
- What happens if missing teeth aren’t replaced?
- Missing teeth can cause a number of other problems, including the loss of other teeth. Missing teeth also cause problems with your bite and oral function, as other teeth move to fill in the space left by the lost tooth or teeth. Over time, these shifts can cause TMJ pain, increased risk of cavities, and problems with chewing. Birkitt Dental offers several tooth replacement options including dentures (and partials) and dental implants.
- What are the differences between over-the-counter and professional teeth whiteners?
- Over-the-counter whiteners do not work as well as the professional-grade teeth bleaching options you can get at Birkitt Dental. The whitening kits you receive at our office are made specifically to fit you, offering greater coverage and effectiveness. And while over-the-counter treatments usually whiten only two to three shades, take-home teeth whitening from our Leesburg dental office can whiten your teeth up to 10 shades. Within just a few days, you’ll notice a difference, and by the time treatment is complete, you’ll smile with confidence.
- What insurance and payment methods do you accept?
- Birkitt Dental accepts most major insurance policies, as well as cash, MasterCard, and Visa. Payment plans are available through CareCredit or Citi Health Card, which have several low- and no-interest plans available. We’ll help you apply in our office—you can receive and begin using your credit instantly!
If we haven’t answered your questions here, don’t hesitate to call. Our helpful staff is always happy to answer any questions you might have about the care you can receive in our office.