A dental implant effectively improves your smile, confidence, and facial structure by serving as an artificial replacement for a missing or damaged tooth.
But how long do dental implants last? This post compiled by our team at Dental 32 Fresh Smile- a leading dental office in Ashburn, VA- comprehensively answers this question. But first, let’s learn how dental implants work.
How Do Dental Implants Work?
Implants dental surgery is a highly successful procedure at Dental 32 Fresh Smiles. During your initial consultation, a dentist examines the dental implant site, studies dental images, and assesses the quality and quantity of jawbone. Once done with the first assessment, a professional arranges for the procedure to be performed under general or local anesthesia depending on the extent of surgery required and your specific needs.
The first stage of dental surgery is extracting existing damaged teeth from the dental implant site(s). If there’s no missing tooth, the dental specialist places gum tissue on top of the existing jawbone. The graft is allowed to integrate into your jawbone for 2-6 months.
During the implant placement appointment, your dentist inserts a titanium post in the bone using special tools and then stitches up the gum. The gum tissue is allowed to grow around the implant for around 3-6 weeks.
During the healing phase, follow-up sessions may be required to check for infections and assess the healing progress.
The dental specialist fastens a prosthetic component (abutment) to the dental implant during the next appointment using a screw. Finally, your dentist cements a custom implant crown to the abutment.
Dental crowns are made from porcelain, resin, metal, or ceramic.
How Long Do Dental Implants Last?
With proper maintenance and care, dental implants can last between 20 and 30 years. However, for your mouth to heal wholly and efficiently, you must follow your dentist’s pre-and post-surgery instructions.
Upon healing, practice excellent oral hygiene to ensure a longer lifespan of your implant. Brush at least twice a day with a fluoride paste. Floss daily to remove hidden bacteria and plaque, protect your gums, and maintain superior oral health, and, resultantly, protect your dental implant.
Note that dental crowns require replacement after 5-15 years due to wear and tear. However, excellent oral hygiene and regular dental checkups could extend the lifespan beyond 15 years.
Factors that affect the durability of dental implants include:
- Oral health: Poor dental hygiene leads to gum disease, which increases the risk of implant failure.
- Lifestyle choices: Heavy drinking and excessive smoking slow down recovery.
- Injury/damage: Facial injuries, chewing hard substances, and eating sticky or chewy food can damage dental crowns.
- Implant position: Implants at the back of your mouth are subjected to more pressure as they are actively used in chewing. For this reason, rear implants will likely wear out faster than front tooth implants.
- Medical conditions: Diabetes and a weak immune system can impact the effectiveness of dental implants. At Dental 32 Fresh Smiles, we evaluate your unique situation to create a custom treatment plan.
Cost of Full Mouth Dental Implants
Full mouth dental implants average between $12,000 and $25,000 per jaw. The costs vary depending on the factors below:
- Location: Dental implants are typically more expensive in cities or areas with a higher cost of living.
- The material used: Tooth implant materials (like zirconium and titanium) vary in price.
- Dentist’s experience: Dental specialists with extensive expertise often charge more than less experienced dentists.
You’ll need to check if your dental or medical insurance policy covers dental implants. Several dental offices in Virginia offer a range of financing options to ease the payment burden for their patients.
Get Quality Dental Implants in Ashburn, VA
Are you looking for dental implant services in Ashburn, VA? Look no further than Dental 32 Fresh Smiles. We customized our dental implant plans to your specific needs to help you restore your smile and confidence.
Call us today at 703-672-1121 or complete our online form to schedule an appointment with a highly experienced dental implant surgeon committed to your success.